Applications are running the world as you read this. You’re probably using a browser to read this article, which is an app. Your phone operates on applications. From messages to calls to the typing keyboard, all these are lines of code that define how a task should be completed. Another name for apps is software. Apps have developed so much and they can do so much more than make a simple phone call. We have e-commerce apps, VR apps and artificial intelligence is also getting its way into the application realm. Application development is defined as the creation of programs or the writing of lines of code that determine how a task is to be performed by a computer. The people who create these programs are known as application developers. The work they do includes; listening and understanding the client’s needs to turn it into a functional and working application, writing and programming code, implementing and integrating the app to work optimally with other software and operating systems.
Stages of App development
All applications are developed following the same process and these same stages but may be given different names. For instance, coding might be called programming, building, or construction. These specific software/application development stages are known as the System Development Life Cycle(SDLC).
- Planning involves identifying the problem and creating a solution that can supersede the expectations of the clients
- Analysis involves determining the requirements of the app and the possible problems that may be encountered
- Design entails looking into how the app will be developed. The development environment and designating various functional requirements. This includes the database and GUI requirements.
- Coding is the actual process of writing the lines of code and programming the software. This phase is the actual creation of the app.
- Testing, which involves using the app and looking for errors, and confirming that the requirements are met.
- Implementation, involves launching the app and making the app available for all people.
Types of Application Development
There are different methodologies used in app development. Although these are different types of app development, they all follow the same system development life cycle phases explained above. The only thing that changes is the technique and the sequence. There are 3 main types of SDLCs.
- Waterfall SDLC: In this methodology, the tasks are done step by step and the next phase is only done after the previous phase is completely done. App developers do not go back to the previous stages.
- Agile SDLC: This SDLC model is done in stages but developers use iteration techniques and they can go back to a stage to add or remove qualities and features to the app in the future.
- Rapid app development SDLC: This app has more emphasis on app development and prototype creation. The developers perform each task and can do more than one phase at a time. This type is good for apps with short deadlines. Rapid app development is a combination of the rainfall and agile methodology and speed.
Since apps are almost everywhere we turn, learning about them and their functionality is important for any person living in the digital age.